Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The (long) kiss goodbye?

What does a goodbye kiss by a stranger mean exactly? Is it like shaking hands, is it like buying you a drink, is it a statement, a question, a request, a promise...? An action meaningless in itself- like saying "we should do lunch?"

I find that that encounters with an attractive member of the opposite sex, after dark, go something like this... Drinks are consumed, pleasantries exchanged. The where from, who do you know established. Drinks consumed. Maybe a bit of interest unveiled albeit that be in a veiled way. Gradually you get the courage to touch each other in small, unobtrusive ways. Some banter establishing individuality, being opinionated on some unimportant matters. More drinks. And then, if circumstances allow, you proceed "home" to the same place.

....

It's morning. You're awake. The sunlight is filtering through your unwashed windows, nature is stirring, and you are in bed with a stranger. The closeness, familiarity, gone. The darkness and mystery of night, evaporated. You're just you. Your locks come in bedhead style. Your cast off comforter on the floor. Empty water glasses on the bedside table. Where have you landed. Do you know someone better after the last eight hours? Is there any intimacy between you? Where do you pick up.. Is it at the point where you ran into each other the night before? Is it when you danced and laughed?.. Is it much later, when you were falling asleep.....

He says goodbye and kisses you. Why?

What is a kiss goodbye? I don't think it's much. I don't mean to say that I don't enjoy it and would rather not have someone show me some affection upon leaving me (leaving period), but I don't think in modern day it's much. I wish it was. I think a campaign of returning sincerity to your kiss would be a worthy project.

P.S. To answer the "why" - because that's just what you do. You get ready to take on the day and you kiss someone goodbye. Even if you didn't greet them that way at the beginning of that long interesting night... You've built some intimacy, you've taken two steps forward, and that one step back which lands you at "kiss."

7 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I think this is a very interesting subject, one that I hope provokes a lot of conversation because I want to here everyone’s side.

How about the next time you meet? Do you kiss when you greet then? Do you hug? How far must this new formality extend in the “relationship”? I think it really just confuses things…

Agreed that you don’t know the individual any better then you did before, well with the exception of that little intimacy issue… but KNOW them better? Nope.

I am down with the returning sincerity to the kiss project. How do we begin?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Smarta said...

I think the "returning cincerity to the kiss" project cannot begin after Las Vegas. An effort prior to that excursion would be a waste.
=)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Returning the sincerity to the kiss would actually require a kiss so waiting until after Vegas is clearly not a problem for me… Or shall I not speak so hastily?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Smarta said...

There is always Cesar.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Christian F said...

Mmmm. Cesar.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Cameron H said...

I am not one for the Kiss, the Brazilians are big into it. I really would like an answer as to WHY?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Ceaer? As in maybe I will find someone to kiss at Cesar's Palace in Vegas, right??

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home