Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I forgot my own namesday

You might not know what a namesday is, but you should be very sad that I forgot it.
A namesday is a european tradition. Everyone in certain eastern european countries has one. You are assigned one, once you are named, and they are apparent an all calendars that are sold. My dad's is February 26th, mine is February 22nd, my mom's is October 20th.. (I could go on and mention every person I am related to/know, have met..) It's this huge deal, bigger than your birthday - you get presents, cards, flowers and people throw you parties etc. etc. If you were named something like Jenn, you could get together with all your friends named Jenn and have a huge namesday bash!!

Anyway, today is mine and I forgot. I'm very sad that I forgot something that is so uniquely me, so related to my heritage, my family, my roots. I found out by checking my voicemail and having a message from my mom with her best wishes for me on it.

I don't know if I am stressed, tired, forgetful or what. All I know is that I was bummed out by this mental omission.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Maybe you forgot because of a long (kiss) good (bye)… Or maybe because you are overwhelmed at your new job or maybe because you are spending too much time playing with your friends so your days are flying by, or maybe you are on the verge of becoming VERY OLD and are loosing your mind. Hmmm… I wonder which it is.

So I need a little more help with this namesday… What would mine be? Is it based on the first letter of your name? How is the namesday determined? BTW. Yours falls on my beautiful niece Maggie’s actual birthday, special.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Christian F said...

It's true about Maggie. So you could say that we celebrated your namesday with birthday cake, balloons, and a very small bike. I hope you enjoyed it.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home