Monday, September 26, 2005

Books are cool!

For a couple of years now (I KNOW!!!) we've had quite the little book club going. Most of us girls live in they city of San Francisco, and we meet once a month at our host's house where we drink great wine, nibble on some fantastic food, and discuss the chosen book.

If I was able to describe my feelings about the selection in a word or so, I have.


Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (March) great read

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (April) deep and sad

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (July) lovely

Atonement by Ian McEwen(September) uhmm. still have not finished it- maybe I'll try again

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown(October) thrilling

Life of Pie by Yann Martel(December) please read the entire thing- don't give up- it's amazing

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon (January) a favorite

The Last Girls by Lee Smith (February) yuck

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (March) interesting and disturbing

Blue Angel by Francine Prose (May) can't recommend

Perfume by Patrick Suskind (June) interesting perspective on life in early france

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason (July) -not sure how this managed to get published- complete garbage

The Dirt by Motley Crue (August) made me like MC all over again

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory(September) LOVED IT!

A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That by Lisa Glatt(October) wish the writer had not forced her amazing short stories into something else

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (November) really pleasantly suprised- great discussion

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (January) good book- glad I'm not in HS anymore

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (February) a little odd, with nuggets of wisdom such as that you only live one life, in a linear fashion- so trying to figure out what might have been is completely irrational.

The Plot Against America (March) I can't say I absolutely loved it, or for that matter even finished it, but it did start a very good discussion at the book club. I'd recommend for that reason alone.

My Sisters' Keeper (April) Tears, tears and more tears. A serious discussion followed. Definitely a good book club book. Even if at times it would have profited from some depth.

One Thousand White Women (May) Not bad, not good. Kind of a stereotype book about early america. Could have been funnier, but wasn't.

Confederacy of Dunces (July) Uhm. I really didn't like it. People did. I finished it, but only because I really wanted to make sure that there wasn't $100 dollars in there I was supposed to find as incentive for buying the $3 book.

The Time Travelers Wife (August) Amazing book. I highly recommend it. It was awesome.

The Fabulist (September)

5 Comments:

Blogger Rambling Rose Cottage said...

I stumbled upon your blog. Thank you for the book recommendations. I've read a few of those but not all of them.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I am amazed you can remember all of the books. I was trying to think of all of them the other day and couldn't remember every single one. Impressive.

I have almost the same response to the books as you do; you know where our opinions vary. I wonder if the fact that we have near to the same opinion is a result of our group discussions, or that the trash books are trash and the good books are good?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Cameron H said...

OK, so I think I have heard of two of those books. I guess maybe I need to stop hanging out in the "Idiots Guide to....." section of Barnes and Noble.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Beautiful comment Doro, welcome.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

After book club Tuesday do we get a new post from you?

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home